What Are the Top Lip Filler Brands?
Many popular dermal filler brands are indicated for use in lip augmentations, including members of the Restylane® and Juvederm® families of hyaluronic acid fillers. These products plump the lips safely and naturally, adding volume and smoothing common signs of aging like vertical lip lines.
Not all dermal fillers are appropriate for lip augmentation, however. Calcium hydroxylapatite (CaHa) fillers have received FDA approval for certain types of face filler injections (notably nasolabial fold treatments) but not as lip fillers, for example.
So let’s take a closer look at the top brands of fillers that are indicated for lip injections and the circumstances in which they work best.
Top Hyaluronic Acid (HA) Filler Brands
Hyaluronic acid fillers are the most popular type of lip injections by a considerable margin. Popular formulations include:
- Restylane Silk, the first FDA-approved lip filler and still a favorite of patients seeking smooth, natural-looking lips
- Juvederm Volbella, one of two Juvederm fillers indicated for lip treatments — Volbella is best for smoothing vertical lip lines
- Juvederm Ultra, the best Juvederm formulation for lip plumping
All hyaluronic acid-based fillers have some important advantages over other types of lip fillers:
- They’re not as long-lasting as other types of dermal fillers. Their effects typically begin to wear off after 6 to 12 months. This is an advantage for patients who aren’t sure they want permanent lip fillers.
- They’re reversible. An injectable compound called hyaluronidase can safely and quickly reverse the effects of hyaluronic acid when the patient isn’t satisfied with the results or, more rarely, in case of complications such as allergic reaction.
- They work quickly. HA fillers begin working within hours and typically reach full effect within days, once localized swelling fades around the injection site.
Top Poly-L-Lactic Acid (PLLA) Filler Brands
Poly-L-lactic acid, also known as polylactic acid of PLLA, is a biocompatible material that’s also used in dissolvable stitches. When injected into the face and lips, it stimulates the body’s natural collagen production and serves as a sort of tiny scaffold to which the collagen adheres.
The most popular PLLA filler brand is Sculptra® Aesthetic. Patients like Sculptra because its effects are durable — typically two years or longer — and because it provides a natural plumping effect.
However, Sculptra’s effects can take weeks to months to fully appear. In the meantime, patients may need to receive multiple rounds of injections — a greater investment of time than HA fillers. And because PLLA isn’t reversible, it’s best for patients to work with board-certified providers who’ve received comprehensive dermal filler training and certification.
Top Permanent Lip Filler Brands
The top permanent lip filler available in the U.S. uses a compound called polymethylmethacrylate, or PMMA. The most common PMMA filler is Bellafill® (formerly known as Artefill).
Housed in microspheres that remain stable beneath the skin and usually combined with collagen, PMMA provides a durable and natural-looking lip plumping effect that can persist for five years or longer.
The biggest drawback of PMMA is its relative permanence. Minor plastic surgery may be required to remove PMMA lip fillers or mitigate unsightly complications that develop over time.